The Blacksmith Shop has been an active part of the Museum since 2008 as part of the Wood County Historical Center’s “Boomtown District.” The current Blacksmith Shop was the former Granary Building, donated to the Historical Center by the Asmus family, and moved to its current site in the early 2000s. The red exterior was replaced with natural wood siding to match the Oil Derrick. A new forge was built inside, a chimney installed, and the blower and tools from the old structure set up to provide a functional demonstration area for special events and school tours.
Surrounding most of the property is a hand-made stone wall that was built during the tenure of Superintendent Frank Brandeberry (1904-1949). Many hired hands, as well as able-bodied residents, built the wall. The stone wall at the front entrance of the Museum is over 580 feet long, made up of 43 sections, 50 columns, and 2 arches. It takes about 200 rocks to build one column. There are an average of 865 rocks in each section, 200 rocks per column and 1025 rocks per arch. This means that there are more than 49,000 rocks in the entire wall, and more than 1,900 cubic feet (71 cubic yards) of rocks and mortar.
The Black Swamp Herb Society cares for four traditional herb gardens (medicinal, everlasting, culinary, and fragrance); a Butterfly Garden, Children’s Garden, and Thyme Bed. These gardens contain many perennial plants along with blooming annuals. Each month brings new views throughout Ohio’s growing season, so visit them often. The Society was established in 1992 and members and volunteers maintain the gardens on the south side of the Center.