PRNewswire / As cooler weather approaches, New Braunfels, Texas, is full of fun vacation activities geared to enjoying the outdoors and appreciating tradition. Check out the line up for a cool vacation:
November 3-12 – Boo the villain, cheer the hero, groan at the puns and throw popcorn at Circle Arts Theatre’s “The Beverly Wurstbillies,” an annual melodrama production during Wurstfest. Check out the Canyon Lake Yacht Club’s Wurstfest Regatta with all kinds of boats challenging each other on Canyon Lake. These are just two of the varied and fun local events surrounding one of the nation’s best German culture “Oktoberfest” celebrations.
The main event is a ten day celebration of sausage – from the “first bite” of linked wurst to the last polka in Wursthalle, it’s the best food fest in Texas with wurst done every which way – on a stick, in a taco, or served with the best potato pancakes and traditional apple sauce. Great food, Bavarian-style music, German culture, a carnival, and lots more – ein prosit! There’s great food including sausage on a stick to sausage tacos. There’s lots of music and dancing, carnival rides and games. Try the German, Texan and domestic beers. Enjoy special events and the finest in Alpine and Bavarian Style Entertainment. It’s the best ten days in sausage history.
Outdoor Fun – Runners and bicyclists love the rolling hills and scenic beauty of the Texas Hill Country. A favorite event is The Chosen Marathon and Tour de Gruene called “the prettiest race in Texas” which winds through the Texas Hill Country and along the Guadalupe River November 18. Bring your running shoes and take on the Half Marathon point-to-point course or the 5K out-and-back course. that starts and finishes at Rockin R River Outfitters in Gruene. There’s also a Kids Fun Run!
Thanksgiving in New Braunfels includes the opportunity to run off a few pounds on November 23 with the city’s “Turkey Trot.” Enjoy an exhilarating 5k run/walk through the Gruene Historic District to start the day. Children under 12 years old can participate by chasing a Turkey Mascot for ¼ mile through Gruene!
Christmas – It all leads up to another tradition full of German culture – Christmas! Starting with a traditional Downtown Tree Lighting and Weihnachtmarkt – the German Christmas Market – New Braunfels knows how to turn on that holiday spirit. Check out some great places to explore, fun activities and holiday events in New Braunfels:
- A Visit from St Nikolaus – The Sophienburg Museum and Archives presents the German tradition of St. Nikolaus’ visit on the eve of his saint day, December 5, to see how the children are doing.
- Wassailfest – Merchants offer free tastes and vie with one another for the best wassail in town. Festive with holiday decorations and lighting, downtown New Braunfels shows off its historic murals and entertainment venues. Retailers stay up late for that last minute shopping. Downtown restaurants and pubs feature traditional German fare and Texas Hill Country treats like Chicken-Fried Steak, Barbecue, Gulf seafood and Tex-Mex specialties.
- Gruene Christmas Market Days – Nearly 100 vendors set up their booths to offer Christmas gifts, hand-crafted items and packaged Texas foods. Jus’ Cus Pottery, Al and Jeni Hoeksema, will be there with their line of functional and decorative pottery. It’s the perfect place to find a unique holiday gift.
- Gruene Town Lighting – A family-friendly event that features “Cowboy Kringle” riding in on his horse to light Gruene for the holidays. The celebration includes live musical performances with festival food and drink. A great way to enjoy some holiday shopping at Gruene’s 30+ stores. And, when you’re done, cozy up to a fireplace for dinner at the Gristmill and enjoy the evening’s performance at Gruene Hall.
- 16th Annual Gruene Pony Express Ride – The Heritage Trail Ride Association of New Braunfels recreates the Pony Express sending relay riders with a “Christmas Greeting” from the Texas Governor. A temporary post office is set up to cancel stamps for mailing your Christmas cards from Gruene.
- “Bah Humbug,” Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” – Check out this one actor play at The Grapevine in Gruene! Award-winning stage actor Damian Gillentransforms before your eyes into all those beloved characters. Complete with many costume changes, special effects and traditional Celtic Christmas tunes! Great fun for the whole family!
Other great places to explore – Don’t miss a trip to Natural Bridge Caverns featuring Caroling in the Caverns. Check out Play in New Braunfels for more great activities and events like the Hill Country Craft Beer Tour and the Texas Hill Country Wine Trail. The Texas Hill Country is also known for its live music venues – dance halls, honky-tonks and concert venues – check the live music.
For a cool fall and truly magical Christmas, make your reservations in New Braunfels!